CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday 30 April 2009

Sonnet Forms: Shadow Sonnet

Type:    Structure; Rhyme scheme; Isosyllabic; Repetition scheme; Volta


I.    Structure


Created by Amera M. Anderson, the shadow is composed over 14 isosyllabic lines. Each line starts and ends with the same word or homophone thus the creating the effect of a shadow. The shadow stylistic can be applied to most sonnet forms therefore the volta should occur where it would for the sonnet form being used.

   
II.    Schematics


Rhyme Scheme.    Using the English Sonnet: abab cdcd efef gg.
   

Repetition Scheme.

                a'xxxxxxxxa'
                b'xxxxxxxxb'
                a²xxxxxxxxa²
                b²xxxxxxxxb²

                c'xxxxxxxxc'
                d'xxxxxxxxd'
                c²xxxxxxxxc²
                d²xxxxxxxxd²

                e'xxxxxxxxe'
                f'xxxxxxxxf'
                e²xxxxxxxxe²
                f²xxxxxxxxf²

                g'xxxxxxxxg'
                g²xxxxxxxxg²   


III.    Volta


    the volta should occur between lines 9 and 13.


Examples:

 

Spirit to Spirit


So many things have turned my spirit so.
Yet I do resist and yield to it yet.
Know that I give my strength for you to know.
Forget you? Nay, I shall never forget.


Left with my sandpaper dreams since you left.
Love lies in my spirit, for you my love.
Theft of your presence is not spirit theft.
Above all my dreams, I hold you above.

You now have returned, I knew it was you.
Waiting so long as my heart was waiting;
few have returned, yet you're one of the few.
Aching for you as my soul was aching.

War takes so many; yet, you've beaten war.
Door of my spirit, come enter my door.

Copyright © 2007 Amera M. Andersen
(Used with permission)

0 comments: